Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Tis the Season...

When I started this blog, the idea was that I would be writing about whatever was running through my "wandering" mind. Hence the name. The problem became that my mind wandered so far that I didn't even touch the thing for like a year and a half. And lately my mind has been so acutely focused. It's exhausting. But I have found my ability to write to be an effective mode of communication - if only to help clarify my own thoughts for myself. This entry will follow the original spirit of the blog: short, sweet, the topic a bit lighter, but no less serious.

Previously I have encouraged that my discussion of a given topic lead toward thought and further discussion. However in this case, I urge you to consider this the definitive point of view on this subject, and to adjust accordingly, if necessary, moving forward. I only fear that I have waited too long to speak up.

As many of you are aware, and may have guessed given the title, we will be covering the topic of the holiday seasons. That's right. Seasons. Plural. Each with it's own merit. And we should show each the respect that it deserves.

I went into a store recently. The Halloween decor was on clearance and Christmas was already on full display. What's weird about that you ask? The date was October 16th. That's right. Halloween was still more than two weeks away. What are we in such a hurry for? I understand that the giant of retail has jumped the shark beyond my ability to affect change, but if you will all heed my words then they will have to fall in line eventually as well.

It's not Christmas time. Not yet. I can not make this more clear. Post October 31st, we enter into the season of Thanksgiving. It is not time for Christmas carols, Christmas movies, putting up Christmas trees, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas. LOVE. Seriously. It drives my wife nuts. I mean wall to wall decking of the halls. But the joys of Christmas must be reserved within the proper season.

Again, why the rush? The spirit of gratitude that defines the Thanksgiving season so organically transitions into the generosity and celebration of Christmas. And the great part is that there is a very clear point of transition. Thanksgiving dinner. After dinner (and presumably a nap) feel free to pull the boxes out of the garage and start untangling the lights. I would say ideally you might wait until the next day, but I have decided that for the purposes of establishing a clear delineation, dinner is the key.

The prophet Ferris Bueller warned us that "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Let us not be a people that ignores such wisdom.

Thank you for your time, I'll talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment